Saturday, July 2, 2011

Saudi Arabia has a Human Rights Commission! REALLY What for?

The other day me and husband drove past this building which had a human rights commission board on it. Needless to mention, I was shocked that it existed especially here in Saudi Arabia. With the lack of protection granted to expat workers especially domestic servants/maids, labourers, etc. I really wonder what real work the so-called Human Rights employees would be doing here. 

It saddens me each time I read a news-story about a maid being abused, raped, and assaulted in the paper. The worse is when these very women who in an attempt to save themselves end up killing their attackers are sentenced to death or worse have to pay blood money. I would like to ask these so-called human rights people that when a maid dies here because of an attacker, how many a times has a significant amount been paid to their families as blood money. Why are they exempt from this rule? Just because they are considered worthless in the society?!! 

I’ve personally heard and read so many horrific tales & cases of exploit and sexual assault on these women that I just can’t bring myself to side with their sponsors’. Everyone seems to complain that their are alot of runaway maids here. Yes! there are those who runaway for better money elsewhere but I wouldn’t be surprised  if 50% of them run away from their sponsors because the sponsor misbehaved with them, or made sexual advances at them (I do personally know of some who did so to escape being raped). I don’t know who these sponsors are but I sure hope and pray that they rot in hell for treating these women with such insolence.

That said by far I have only heard one good sponsor story here in Saudi Arabia, and many a times I have thanked God for whoever he is and pray that there are or could be more like him in this country.

Anyways I’m glad with the recent announcement of both Indonesian and Philippine government about not sending any more maids to this soil until better measures are taken to protect their people. We can only hope and pray for the best. 

The other day I thanked God for the fact that the Pakistani government never lifted its ban (since the 80s) on supplying women as domestic servants/maids to countries outside. Though it would ease the life of many Pakistani expat families living abroad including here in Saudi Arabia who have to go through the tantrums of Sri Lankan and Indian maids, but any of these problems are acceptable but certainly not exposing and endangering the life of the Pakistani maids in such countries. 

1 comment:

  1. At this moment, I am looking for a human rights office here in Riyadh. I have known that a Filipina maid now is detained to a recruitment office because the office does not allow her to leave though her contract is finished. We have coommunication with her however she can't get out from the building. She is afraid, they may bring her to another bad employer.

    Good heart fellow, please help us find rescue this woman. My contact number +966 555 297 846, Rolando.

    ReplyDelete